In celebration of our anniversary, my only wish was to get out of Utah. Since my hubby and I have been married, we've never stepped foot out of the Great Salt Lake State. I figured that if we went to Colorado, I win, because we would be out of state and my hubby would win, because BYU was playing Air Force. It was a win/win situation. We arranged with my hubby's brother and sister-in-law to watch our kids the first night and my family to watch them the next night. Plans were set and we were on our way. Here is a little play-by-play of how it all went:
- 5:00 a.m. we were off on the road(gas was $1.99 per gallon)
- Got in Wyoming around 7 a.m. and the drive was beautiful
- Stopped in Casper, Wyoming with a half a tank of gas and filled up($2.32 per gallon, WHAT THE?)
- On the road again, the scenery was absolutely breath taking
- Half way in to Wyoming, we were driving on complete black ice
- Saw over a dozen car accidents(three of them were semi's on their sides)
- As we approached Cheyenne, Wyoming, wind gusts were higher than 50 miles per hour
- After a good hour, hour and a half, the weather was clear and we were just a few miles to the Colorado border
- Welcome to Colorado at around 12 noon
- The Rocky Mountains are absolutely beautiful
- Strange for us to see mountains to the west of us and nothing on the east
- Saw the Budweiser Headquarters
- We were blown away at the size of the Denver Bronco's Invesco Stadium at Mile High
- An hour later we arrived at the Holden House Lodge
- Checked-in at 3 p.m., unpacked, to a breather and got dressed to go to the temple
- 4 to 5 p.m. is when the sun sets
- It was an hour drive from where we were staying at in Colorado Springs to the Denver LDS Temple
- Arrived there at about 6 p.m.
- Got dressed, met 4 great couples, performed sealings
- Took a few photos with one of the couples we did sealings with, Jenny and Richard, such awesome people
- Dinner time and food on our minds, we ate at PEI WEI, a Chinese restaurant and oh so yummy
- Got back to our room and called it a night
- Sun rose at around 5 to 6 a.m.
- Got ready, ate breakfast
- Made our way to the Air Force Falcon Stadium
- Tailgaters everywhere
- Went to the BYU tent, got a couple of snaps with Cosmo the Cougar
- Found our seats and sooo ready for the game
- Sat by two couples, that were there for BYU, one from Tooele and the other from West Jordan, UT, it was unbelievable to see how many BYU fans traveled for the game
- Pre-show began, again amazing, 40 squad rants line up all in precision, while the National Anthem was being played, next 7 parachuters above us and all landing inside the stadium, BYU players performing the haka and the cherry on top was seeing three Air Force fighter jets flew over the stadium and then rocketed straight up for space and disappearing into nowhere, so blessed to have witnessed that
- Game began and we were in business
- By half-time the score was 14 Air Force 10 BYU, I was kind of shaking in my pants
- Half-time show was just as wonderful, the Air Force marching band performed a few numbers, Irish dancers dancing and a falcon flying through the stadium, it was fabulous
- Game ended with the score BYU 38 Air Force 24, LOVED IT!!!
- Met up with a few of the players afterwards, David Nixon and his family and Ray Feinga, really great people
- Saw my cousins that play for BYU, Fui, Harvey and David
- On our way to dinner, we filled up, gas was $1.73, I talked to my sister and she said that gas was still $1.95/$1.99, my hubby was on cloud nine with the price we were blessed with
- We had dinner at Carraba's, first time for us, I know that there are a few here, but I never really heard about it, it's a great place, if you haven't gone, go and try it
- That was the end of such a wonderful day
- Sunday, we woke up, got dressed, packed all our stuff into the car and had breakfast
- We then went to attend a ward, called the Meadowland 15th ward
- Everyone there was so welcoming and wonderful, it's like we never left home
- One of the members of the bishopric approached us and told us that we had to move out there, no matter what our circumstances were, we just laughed, but felt really good about the request
- Met a beautiful woman, who we call our Colorado mom, Kathy, got a picture with her
- And we were on our way home
- Took more pictures of things around us
- Nine hours later of driving, we got home safely to two very happy and excited to see us children
Parachute Landing
BYU Kamate
Air Force Fighter Jets
On our way home
Thank you to everyone that helped make this weekend such a beautiful one. And to my hubby, thank you for everything, I love you!!!
11 comments:
How fun! It's so fun to get away just the 2 of you! It sounds like it was a fun little trip.
I am so glad that you were able to have a little get away. It sounds like a blast. John and i loved the year we have driving to and from Cedar the first year we were married. Great time to catch up, listen to good music, and munch yummy snacks.
WOW! What a fun trip, glad that you made it home safely! I am LOVING the gas prices...makes me want to take a road trip:)
I'm glad you guys made it safely there. I hate driving in bad weather, especially black ice. It sounds like you guys had fun, and the football game sounded very entertaining!
Congrats! I'm so jealous;) Sounds like you had a fun and busy weekend. Some of my fondest memories are of road trips...
That sounds like such a fun trip!(except for the black ice in Wyoming...scary!)
I would love to go to a BYU football game...I haven't been to one in so long!
What a blessing to have time together out of town for your anniversary! I can't wait to do that! lol! I love the lodge that you stayed at! I have never been out to Colorado, but seeing your trip makes me want to go there! I love keeping in touch with you Christie! Thanks for always stopping by and for all the love! Take Care! Hope to see you soon! Love you!
BTW, did you see the pic of your Grandma on Trish's blog? I love that picture, it's the first time I have seen it!
Wow, it looks like you guys had tons of fun! I'm glad that you guys had a great time in Colorado. You guys are such a cute couple. We love you guys!
How nice to get away and have things actually work out! Congrats! By the way, Carrabba's is one of my favorite restaurants!
So Fun! Its always nice to get away!
Post a Comment